The Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2023 demystified!

Community Manager.

5 Likes

Hi @Kaulin ,

Was this already approved into law?

I believe last year it was still pending … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes @Ludy,

The Digital Personal Data Protection Bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha on August 9 . In a significant moment, President Draupadi Murmu gave her assent to the Digital Personal Data Protection Bill on August 11, 2023. This gave India a specific legislation that addresses the protection of a citizen’s personal data.

Hope that helps.

Community Manager.

3 Likes

That is good to know. Coz our company has a very strong policy on data protection and I was just waiting for the bill to be approved, as I need to create an internal policy based on it…

Would you be kind to share the full bill here please - it would be a great help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @Ludy ,

Good to hear that your company strongly believes in the data protection of users. Hope this link will help answer your query -

https://prsindia.org/billtrack/digital-personal-data-protection-bill-2023

Community Manager.

3 Likes

@Kaulin

Do you happen to know if greythr template for this policy is already available? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @Ludy ,

Do let me check and get back to you.

Community Manager.

2 Likes

Thank you @Kaulin

Will be waiting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Ludy,

The Digital Personal Data Protection Act, 2023 prescribes the organizations to have appropriate policies and practices in place with regard to digital data that they process.

All the organizations that collects, stores and processes ‘personal data’ should comply with DPDPA.

"personal data” means any data about an individual who is identifiable by or in relation to such data.

processing” in relation to personal data, means a wholly or partly automated
operation or set of operations performed on digital personal data, and includes
operations such as collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation,
retrieval, use, alignment or combination, indexing, sharing, disclosure by transmission,
dissemination or otherwise making available, restriction, erasure or destruction.

Organizations have to consult with their legal counsel, IT team, Information Security team to understand the type of digital data that they process and frame their policies, standards and protection measures as required.

The role of HR teams here will be to ensure that they consult with their internal teams as mentioned above to have appropriate processes in place with regard to consent management, consent withdrawals, data principal rights, responding to data principal requests, etc.

DPDP Act, 2023.pdf (182.0 KB)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bhuvana Anand

5 Likes

celebrate loganathan HR reacted to your message:

2 Likes

@Kaulin Thanks for sharing.
Good Day !

1 Like