Labour LAW - Mandatory for Medical Insurance - Tamil Nadu Government

There is any labour law mandatory for medical Insurance (Private Ltd company - Software-based) for Tamil Nadu Government.
If Yes, Please let me know, There is any sum insured slab or minimum policy amount?

2 Likes

Please refer to Shops and Establishments Act. In that you will find it.

2 Likes

Hi,

I am not sure about Tamil Nadu act but this is mandatory to provide medical insurance for your employees who are not covered under ESI. There is no such minimum or maximum slab but you will have to look into the benefits and accordingly can decide.

As per my opinion SI of 2L is good to start with. Later can top up as per the usage of employees.

I hope your query will be anawered.

3 Likes

Thanks you sir. Very helpful for me.

2 Likes

Hi Prabhu,
So far as industrial employment is concerned, insurance cover is mandatory only under the Employees State Insurance Act,1948 that too in respect of those establishments brought under the coverage of the said Act. Here, both the employer and the Employees are obligated to pay monthly premium or contribution to the Scheme @ a certain percentage of the monthly salary. The Scheme ensures compensation towards employment accidents and sickness including medical treatment.
Where the ESI Act is not applicable, the liability to pay compensation in respect of injuries or death of certain classes of employees due to any employment accident or by contracting any occupational disease is cast upon the emplyer under the Employees Compensation Act, 1923. Here, the employer can take up an Employees Compensation Insurance Policy which is optional and towards which the employee is not required to pay any premium.
Then sec.4-A of the Payment of Gratuity Act,1972 prescribed compulsory insurance for gratuity the premium of which is to be borne by the employer only.
So far as I am aware, only these are the statutory insurance cover to be provided by the employer towards his employees.

3 Likes

Thanks you sir, I got the brief clarification.

2 Likes