PAN not furnished!

Hello members,

Can you help me to understand at what rate the payer will deduct tax if I do not furnish my Permanent Account Number to him?

Your guidence is appriciated.

Trisha.

2 Likes

Hi @Trisha ,

As per section 206AA​, if you do not furnish your Permanent Account Number to the payer (i.e., deductor), then the deductor shall deduct tax at the higher of the following rates :

• At the rate specified in the relevant provision of the Act.

• At the rate or rates in force, i.e., the rate prescribed in the Finance Act.

• At the rate of 20%.​

However, the provisions of section 206AA shall not apply in the following cases:-

In respect of payment of interest on long-term bonds to a non-resident under section 194LC.

1. Where deductee being a non-resident or a foreign company, shall in respect of payments in the nature of interest, royalty, fees for technical services and payments on transfer of any capital asset, furnish the following details and documents to the deductor, namely:—

ii. name, e-mail id, contact number;

iii. address in the country or specified territory outside India of which the deductee is a resident;

​iv. a certificate of his being resident in any country or specified territory outside India from the Government of that country or specified territory if the law of that country or specified territory provides for issuance of such certificate;

v. Tax Identification Number of the deductee in the country or specified territory of his residence and in case no such number is available, then a unique number on the basis of which the deductee is identified by the Government of that country or the specified territory of which he claims to be a resident. ​

Thanks .

Ravi

1 Like