How to claim HRA if the landlord do not have PAN or landlord is not providing her PAN?

How to claim HRA if the landlord do not have PAN or landlord not providing her PAN?


Hi Chitra,

Claim only 8300 PM so that you need not provide PAN.


If Landlord doesn’t have a PAN -

In this case, Landlord should fill form 60. This form talks about reasons of not applying for the PAN Card

If Landlord is not willing to give PAN -

If the annual rent paid by the employee exceeds Rs 1 lakh per annum, it is mandatory for the employee to report PAN of the landlord to the employer. The tax law also says that in case the landlord does not have a PAN, a declaration to this effect from the landlord along with the name and address should be filed by the employee.

Tax experts say that an employee can still claim tax benefits under HRA in his or her tax return.
Even if the employer does not allow HRA exemption to the employee - due to non-availability of PAN or declaration by the landlord for not having PAN, the employee still has the option to claim it at the time of filing the income tax return.

Once a person is to file his/her income tax return, there is no requirement to furnish the PAN of landlord