How to prevent quiet quitting!

Employers are currently facing the challenge of employees who go through quiet quitting – a recent trend where workers choose not to work beyond their job description. In a study published in the journal Human Resource Management, researchers from North Carolina State University explained that quiet quitting could be addressed by guaranteeing that employees spend time with their co-workers who identify with the company. Understanding the informal social networks formed within an organization may help prevent quiet quitting, the study suggests.

The researchers performed an in-depth social network evaluation, the respondents were given a survey designed to capture the role of each worker, how the employee related to the company, and how they engaged with their co-workers. The survey evaluated the extent to which each worker identified with the company, how they viewed the way they are treated by the employer, how helpful their co-workers were, and how they fit into the organizational structure.

The outcome appeared that people whom an employee can turn to for help have an influence on how the employee feels about the organization. The more a person identifies with their organization, the more likely they will go above and beyond the call of duty at work.

The study’s findings meant that employers have various ways of influencing how workers interact with each other. Organizations can decide where people’s offices and desks are located, and they can determine who will be able to mentor the new hires. The report guarantees that employees who socialize with co-workers who identify with the company may curb quietly quitting.

Community Manager.

4 Likes

This trend was in effect years ago…but got prominent and gained much traction during pandemic period…I did exactly that 1.5 years ago…ask me why. I just couldn’t take it anymore. WFH had limited boundaries between work and personal space. I logged in early and logged off late 1am - 2am sometimes…this is because, there were attrition in team and those additional responsibilities apart from your job role landed on the selected few leftovers. So Pressure of meeting deadlines, sudden requirement of being available all the time soon shifted to stress, agitation and eventually caused a lot of harm to my child and spouse. I couldn’t sleep, because of the constant expectation of something in the back of my mind which kept saying…meet deadline, promotion, seeking applause, praise and attention…all these led me to total burnout…to a point I couldn’t remember what’s happening around me. That is when I tried drawing a line…did not take up any additional task…logged off early, tried focusing on personal time…but “that expectation of being available from others did not stop”…finally I got frustrated and quit…but my organization pressured me to stay back…without addressing the underlining problem (neither I knew then nor them it was called burnout)…

5 Likes

Hey @arshamercy,

I believe you went through a lot during those days and after careful analysis, you took the bold step of quitting. Might not have been easy for you but it gave you some peace of mind which is the most important part of everyone’s life.

Community Manager.

4 Likes

Yes @Kaulin…took 6-8 months to recover from burnout…right now…in the new org. I do see the boundaries clearly defined with a supportive community.

5 Likes

Hi @arshamercy,

This should be the way every org should look for and make the way easier for employees to deliver great results.

Community Manager.

5 Likes

I can imagine what you went through. Have faced similar situations earlier.

4 Likes

Dear Arshamercy,

What you went through was really tough. Congratulations for overcoming it!

One thing is for sure, the importance of drawing the line - but as you have shared, it is really easier said than done. Coz once you become too involved in your work - something that management would see and of course highlight - you will find yourself erasing the line already, coz it is already in your system. It would really take time and strong conviction to make that line visible to everyone without sacrificing your performance as well.

Nice sharing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Right you are! Once compromised, it becomes an expectations (falsely glorified as flexibility)

3 Likes

Hi team,

Quite a bold opening conversation thread about quiet quitting! Appreciate it @Kaulin!

I would like to add a bit on this.

We have the historical track of majority of employees remaining quiet about their basic employee rights for e.g. rights relating to the work hours, healthy work environment, equal remuneration, equal opportunity, and the right to be ‘heard’.

Often it is observed the employees choose to quit quietly than escalation to the management keeping certain practical factors in mind such as (i) smooth exit with clean documentation, (ii) avoid delayed full and final settlements (iii) to get positive clearance in background verifications from such employment so that the future employment is secured, (iv) avoid litigation that may be a prolonged battle affecting future employments (v) mixed reactions from family, friends, colleagues, etc. (vi) when escalations miserably fails.

However there is an evolutionary process seen over a period of time with the paradigm shift of employees opening up to ensure their interests are not curtailed, inclusion of HR’s periodical reviews/surveys to employees, exit interviews, etc.

COVID lock downs helped us all to prioritize health over burnout and organizations to move more towards employee engagement, work-life balancing.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Bhuvana Anand

3 Likes

Thank you @Bhuvana_Anand for sharing the crucial points. I will try to bring out such hidden topics which are not usually discussed so that people can open up and share their views around them.

Regards,
Community Manager.

2 Likes