HR Best practices - Termination

Firing an employee is one of the most difficult human resources (HR) challenges a business is likely to face. In addition to having to deal with the specific problem the employee is creating, you’ll have to handle the firing in as fair a manner as possible to reduce the risk of legal repercussions. This requires setting up a formal termination process in advance, and carefully documenting every step as you implement the process.

You will also need to communicate effectively with your other employees, so the firing will not negatively impact morale. This requires transparency – yet you don’t want to infringe on the fired person’s privacy unless absolutely necessary. All in all, firing is a painful and, sometimes, risky business. If you can’t avoid it, then it’s important to keep it from getting emotional by following professional HR best practices.

• Establishing a Termination Policy & Guidelines
  • Acceptable Reasons for Termination
  • Developing an Employee Review Process
  • Informing Your Employee: The Moment We All Regret
  • Severance Packages - Yes? No? Maybe?
4 Likes

Truly one of the painful tasks any HR have to do. Worst feeling.

1 Like

Yes @Kaulin worst feeling. Imagine me… switching from Hiring (past 14yrs) to New HRBP Manager role. In my first case of firing… I had to choke my tears bck…cos I was feeling so awful and imagined my child in that situation! I know thats our job…but only solace was I fought the case to put the person in PIP, document every week, held Manager responsible and ensured there are no loop holes, fought to provide severance package…though it was a performance issue

2 Likes

@arshamercy Completely agree with you. At the end of the day organizations also need to plan and prepare their employees with trainings and development programs so that they are well equipped with the changes and cope up with their roles.

2 Likes