PF withdrawal by a Japanese Expat


Japan - India signed SSA wef Oct 2016.
But before that we have paid PF in r/o an expat.

This expat is still working in India but we have excluded him from PF from Oct 2016.
Can he apply now for withdrawal of accumulation?

If yes, can it be done online?
If yes, what should be the reason for leaving?

Please advise.

Shrivatsa A V


Hi @Shrivatsa

As long as the expatriate continues to work for a covered establishment in India, he will have to continue depositing provident fund and can withdraw the same only after completing the Indian assignment.

The same can be done online. The change will benefit all foreign nationals who have contributed to the provident fund in India before the social security agreement between their home country and India came into force.

1 Like

Dear Dinesh,
Thanks for your reply.

India and Japan effected SSA since Oct 2016, we have stopped remittances.
Expat continued working in India and my question is, can he apply for PF accumulation ?


Shrivatsa A V


Agreed with Dinesh… In your case, as you have already exited the employee from your PF list, with drawal can be done through online showing cessation or illness.