Query On Overtime for Warehouse Staff

Hi everyone,
I am extremely delighted to be part of a community where I learn something new everyday and am up to date with the latest happenings in the industry. This is my first post.

We are a Book Publishing House with a small Warehouse Team in Delhi comprising majority employees on rolls and two temporary employees on daily wages. The employees on daily wages are being paid as per the daily wages listed on the Labour Commissioner, Ministry of Delhi (https://labour.delhi.gov.in/content/current-minimum-wage-rate). They are usually employed only 8 hours/day, 5 days week

Now I have two questions. There was a little extra work last week due to which we had to keep them overtime and request them to come on a Saturday/Sunday/Public Holiday

1. How will overtime be calculate for a daily wager working on a Saturday/Sunday/Public Holiday. Will it be twice his daily wages?

2. For a daily wager working more than 8 hours on any given day, will overtime be calculated as per the formula applied to regular employees:
    (Basic Salary or Daily Wages/30 or 31*8) *2

3. What is the maximum number of overtime hours an employee on daily wages or regular employee on rolls do in a week.

Look forward to your reply
Regards,
Archana

4 Likes

Dear Archana,

1. Quoting from the above compliance webiste we have for delhi Overtime hours in general is twice the normal hours.

2. The formula depends from company to company, some companies prefer on basic and some on gross salary. Considering basic it is most of the time calculated for 30 days.
    (Basic Salary /30 *8) *2

3.Quoting from the same link above:

Normal Working Hours : Nine hours in a day and forty-eight hours in a week
Maximum Over Time Hours : Six hours in any week and one hundred and fifty hours in a year
Rate of OT Wages : Twice the rate of his normal remuneration calculated by the hour

2 Likes