Statutory Compliance Who plays what role?

Hi All,

I am new to this job responsibilities, looking for some advise. I am the only HR in my organization and its growing to 200 numbers in next 6 months. At this time, we have a 3rd party Vendor assisting in filing statutory requirements for us. But I see, there are a lot of delay, misses and follow-ups required, its too hard for me to track them down.

1. Statutory Compliance - What should HR be accountable of?
  2. Who is responsible for filing Statutory compliance? This Question is because, suddenly I don’t see any filings done for Month of Feb’22.
  3. Are there any legal implications if the statutory compliance are not filed on time?
  4. Are there any Vendor Suggestions, who can file them on time with no follow-ups required.

Please suggest and provide advice.

2 Likes

Hi Arsha,

Completely understand your situation. With regard to your queries:

1. Statutory Compliance - What should HR be accountable of?

Statutory Compliance is a collective responsibility of the Organization with the help of HR, Finance and Legal team.
The general practice is -
The HR team provides the employee data to the finance team and
The Finance team computes the appropriate remittances / contributions required under various labour / employment laws such as PF, ESI, PT, LWF, TDS etc.
Other than that the team also takes care of the required registrations, enrollments, records to be retained under various laws.
The legal desk keeps the team informed regularly on the changes in law and compliances related aspects.

And Finance team outsource an external agency to assist in registrations, filing, etc.

2. Who is responsible for filing Statutory compliance?

Again the Organization has to assign the responsibility here considering the team resources and time required to track, comply and maintain the required reports and records.

3. Are there any legal implications if the statutory compliance are not filed on time?
Yes, certainly. Under various laws there are timelines stipulated on or before which the registrations should be made, contributions should be paid, reports should be filed, and records / registers should be maintained for certain number of years.

Sharing some links here that may help you to start and familiarize yourself with various compliances required:

4. Are there any Vendor Suggestions, who can file them on time with no follow-ups required.

Based on your location, some of our community members may help you with references of vendors.
Yet, to make it easy you can book mark the applicable laws, compliances required under such laws and refer to compliance calendar that apply to the required states. With this you can track the compliances.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bhuvana Anand

4 Likes

I am so grateful to you @Bhuvana_Anand. Thank you for your valuable time and patience in answering my query. I was running around to get this sorted. This is so much detailed, clear and of great help. :smiling_face:

I am put up in Chennai office, so will require all the help is related to Tamil Nadu statutory compliance. I will sure refer to the shared articles and calendars. Thanks again !

2 Likes

Glad to hear that, Arsha :innocent:.

We have a lot of experts in our community to share their wisdom with you. And you will find a lot of resource materials shared in this forum.

Stay connected! We all learn and grow together.

Regards,
Bhuvana Anand

3 Likes