I am working on formation of attendance reward system for 100% attendance monthly basis. We are into retail sector kind of staff working with us sort of laborer class has more issues related to absenteeism. Management has assigned budget on reward system 5% of turnover for quarter. We have come-up with non monetary reward ideas. 1) deo Plus shaving kit - Mens ( These idea we have derived to ensure grooming standards too) 2) Deo plus small make kit - Girls 3) Shoes ( Will be used while working in store. We dont provide shoes in uniform policy) 40 Movie ticket & wrist watch for quarter winner throughout the quarter 100% attendance. Ideas - Gift vouchers/bigbazaar/sodexo voucher we found not much interesting our people dont know how use that . I would like understand form seniors will such kind ideas motivate staff to remain present. If you have more ideas please share with me.
I don’t think the non-monetary rewards will work for the retail industry. Even monetary rewards will work only for some extent.(sales person is quitting job for Rs.500 or Rs.1000 increase in salary).
Firstly we have to understand the needs of the sales force. The age group will be between 18 - 25 yrs. He/she will be thinking to enjoy with friends or family.
Even though most of the people would have 10th or 12th they also have the same feelings what the others have in the same age group.
In retail industry these people have to work on Sundays as well as on National Festival holidays. Moreover the person is not given leave for his / her personal needs / family function.
Even you say an employee has 30 days leave in a year whether the same has been given/ approved to the employee by Department manager / Store Manager. Here the sales staff is least bothered to inform the DM / SM regarding his leave. He/she does not feel even you mark LOP for them.
In today’s scenario there will be absenteeism, you cannot control it 100% but you can avoid it by certain initiatives.
- Identify the sales staff who is taking leave regularly, have a counselling session with / without DM /SM, understand the problem.(Still the problem persist terminate the employee).
- On the employee B’day, give him/ her a movie ticket and ask them to leave by half day.
- Conduct a group discussion regarding various topic like absenteeism, integrity on a Saturday / Sunday meeting within the sales staffs. Also you can conduct an role play based on your company values.
- Derive an incentive plan for each staffs or department.
- Conduct training program like product knowledge, communication skills, self development. 6. Show a inspirational/ motivational movie on a lean day where you don’t expect much sales. 7. Take an outing / conduct in-door games, fashion shows within employees, culturals etc. If possible try to give 1 day salary as attendance bonus if the employee comes for 30/31 days.
Note : Every employee should think he is learning some thing new every day. Unless you dont care them they dont.