What ways can HR help to stressed family members in claiming the various benefits for a deceased employee?
The question is on EDLI scheme, any checklist would be very helpful.
"With effect from 28.04.2021, the EPFO has increased the maximum benefit to Rs.7 lakh for the registered nominees of the deceased member.
The Ministry had increased the minimum amount of benefit to Rs.2.5 lakh on Feb 2018 for two years. However, the EPFO has further decided to continue with the same minimum benefit of Rs.2.5 lakh with retrospective effect from 15th Feb 2020.
Also, with effect from 28.04.2021, the EPFO has extended the benefit to the nominees of the deceased member who have changed their establishment for employment within a period of 12 months preceding the month of their death."
Documents required for a payout under EDLI
To process the claim under EDLI, the following documents are to be submitted by the claimant: –
- Duly completed Form 5 IF
- Death Certificate of the insured person.
- Succession Certificate in case the legal heir files the claim.
- Guardianship Certificate if the claim is filed on behalf of a minor by a person other than the natural guardian.
- Copy of cancelled cheque for the account in which the payment is to be received.
How to claim the benefits under EDLI
The process to be followed by the nominee or claimant to receive the amount under EDLI is as follows:
- The benefits can be claimed by the nominee specified by the insured person. If no nominee was registered, then the family members or legal heirs can apply for the same.
- The deceased person should have been an active contributor to the EPF scheme at the time of his/her death.
- EDLI Form 5 IF has to be duly completed and submitted by the claimant.
- The claim form has to be signed and certified by the employer.
- If there is no employer or the signature of the employer cannot be obtained, the form must be attested by any of the following:
- Bank manager (in whose branch the account was maintained)
- Local MP or MLA
- Gazetted Officer
- Member/Chairman/Secretary of Local Municipal Board
- Post Master or Sub-Postmaster
- Member of the regional committee of EPF or CBT
- The claimant must submit all the documents along with the completed form with the regional EPF Commissioner’s Office for processing of the claim.
- The claimant can also submit Form 20 (for EPF withdrawal claim) as well as Form 10C/D to claim all the benefits under the three schemes, EPF, EPS and EDLI)
- Any additional documents required must be furnished at the earliest to process the claim.
- Once all the documents are provided and the claim is accepted, the EPF commissioner must settle the claim within 30 days from the receipt of the claim. Otherwise, the claimant is entitled to interest @12% p.a. Till the date of actual disbursal. more here