Can employer withhold pay for insufficient notice period?

Hello Members,

By rules can employer withhold pay for insufficient notice period?


Hi I think yes they can if the notice period as mentioned in the appointment order is not being served. Some companies and employees mutually sort this out else employer can deduct

1 Like

Yes, if there is a mutual agreement put down in appointment letter.
Thank you.


Hi Chitra

You won’t be able to withhold the complete pay. If your appointment letter says “1 month notice period or salary in lieu thereof” then you can deduct the amount equal to Notice Period only and have to pay the balance amount to Employee.

Also, it is employers duty to reply when employee has given the resignation letter. If you accept resignation letter without mentioning short notice period deduction, then it is deemed that you have agreed to relieve him earlier i.e. as date mentioned in resignation letter.

Powered by | India's No.1 Payroll and HR Software.
9000+ Clients
150 Cities
10 Lakh+ Users