Internship program

Hi great minds,

Kindly help me in understanding the internship / practicum program in India.

We are planning to get students who are in the year of having internship or practicum (or I do not know how it is called properly in India), and I want to be guided on the following:

1. What labor law is applicable in getting practicumers or interns
  2. What are the requirements from the side of the employer to be eligible to get these students
  3. Is the company required to provide salary to them and what are the guidelines

Appreciate any replies to my inquiry.

Thank you.

Hey @Ludy ,

Hope you are doing well.

Kindly note that internships remain an unregulated sector which is not covered under either the Industrial Employment Act 1946 or the Minimum Wages Act 1948. However you can feel free to give the regular facilities given to full time employers. They are not entitled for all leave categories (Earner leave, sick leave, Restricted Holiday) but you can give exceptions and Sunday’s are holidays. Also the best idea to keep them motivated is to give them stipend (Salary) which will be up to you. A decent stipend is always a good bonus. Rest everything remains the same.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Community Manager.

1 Like

Dear Kaulin,

Thanks for the reply.

So when taking an intern, do I also need to give them an offer letter and an appointment letter or just a signed agreement between the company and the school?

1 Like

Hey @Ludy,

Hope you are doing well.

Kindly note that you need to give them a offer letter and appointment letter/agreement which will have all details of the stipend, role, company policies to make sure that the interns follow them.

Regards,
Community Manager.

1 Like

thanks @Kaulin for the reply.

1 Like

Hope you are doing well.

Kindly note that internships remain an unregulated sector which is not covered under either the Industrial Employment Act 1946 or the Minimum Wages Act 1948. However you can feel free to give the regular facilities given to full time employers. They are not entitled for all leave categories (Earner leave, sick leave, Restricted Holiday) but you can give exceptions and Sunday’s are holidays. Also the best idea to keep them motivated is to give them stipend (Salary) which will be up to you. A decent stipend is always a good bonus. Rest everything remains the same.

Hope this helps.

1 Like