Maximum working hours per week and per day (without Overtime) as per the Labour Law?

Dear Team,

Please advise the maximum working hours per week and per day (without Overtime) as per the Labour Law.

1 Like

As this can vary based on industry and state rules, please share more inputs like

1. Nature of business
  2. State
  3. Covered under Factories Act or Shops & Establishment Act
3 Likes

Hi, PFB my inputs. Thanks

1 Like

As requested, please find the below details for your reference.

1. Nature of business - Preclinical Research
  2. State - Puducherry
  3. Covered under Factories Act or Shops & Establishment Act - Shops & Establishment Act.
2 Likes

Hi Leejo,

For Puducherry

Open & Close Timings 6 AM - 10 PM for Shops and 8 AM - 8 PM for Est
Working Hours: 8 hrs daily
48 hrs weekly
Rest Interval: 1 hour
Spreadover: 12 hours
Weekly Off: 1 day weekly
Overtime Limit: 6 hrs weekly

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bhuvana Anand

4 Likes

Dear Bhuvana,

Thank you for the information.Request you to please advise what is the Spreadover.

3 Likes

Hi Leejo,

As shared in my previous response, the spread-over is 12 hours i.e., not exceeding 12 hours in a day including rest intervals .

Regards,
Bhuvana Anand

2 Likes

Dear Bhuvana,

Thank you for the clarification.

2 Likes

Spread over refers to the total duration permissible including the break.
Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation!

2 Likes

Even in Tamil nadu, 48 Hours in a week and 57 hours including overtime in a week.
Spread over 12 Hours

1 Like

Hi Leejo,
will this differ if the business is construction?
can you provide the guidelines for construction companies OT for the labor workers (Blue collar).

Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Hi Bhuvana!
I presume there will be a change in the OT for construction companies but I do not have the guidelines for the same.

2 Likes

Hi Ludymar (@Ludy) and Leejo (@hr_diligencebio),

The over time for construction workers are regulated by the Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1996 and the respective state’s rules framed in accordance with it.

Who will be a building worker?
As per section 2 (e) of this Act, a building worker means a person who is employed to do any skilled, semi-skilled or unskilled, manual, supervisory, technical or clerical work for hire or reward, whether the terms of employment be expressed or implied, in connection with any building or other construction work but does not include any such person—
(i) who is employed mainly in a managerial or administrative capacity; or
(ii) who, being employed in a supervisory capacity, draws wages exceeding one thousand six
hundred rupees per mensem or exercises, either by the nature of the duties attached to the office or
(iii) by reason of the powers vested in him, functions mainly of a managerial nature.

Wages for overtime work.
As per section 29 of this Act, 29 - (1) Where any building worker is required to work on any day in excess of the number of hours constituting a normal working day, he shall be entitled to wages at the rate of twice his ordinary rate of wages.
(2) For the purposes of this section, “ordinary rates of wages” means the basic wages plus such allowances as the worker is for the time being entitled to but does not include any bonus.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,
Bhuvana Anand

3 Likes

Dear Bhuvana,

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes